Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

MY MISTRESS’ EYES

The Spencerian counter attack,
     after Edmund Spencer
against William Shakespeare.



My mistress’ eyes shine for all the world to see
And long a-glowing are her lips of ruby gold
Her lovely breasts enticing solely me
And hair so beauteous black in long drape and fold.

I have seen roses immersed in red and white,
Such as the roses constantly in her smile
And in no perfume do I find more delight
Than in the looks with which she doth me beguile,

I so love her voice and well do know
That there is no music a more wondrous sound
And although any Goddess can only but flow,
Each step of my mistress floats o’er the ground

With no other I know she can compare
And that by heaven my love is so rare.


------------------------------------

Shakespear’s sonnet 130
A very unkind sonnet to a mistress,
Attacking the Spencerian sonnet

If hairs be wires, black wires grew on her head
And in some perfumes there is more delight
Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks
I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
That music has afar more pleasing sound


No comments:

Post a Comment