Total Pageviews

Monday, January 10, 2011

An old lady and her dog

In the park, I stopped
Coming back from the fish shop
with tonight’s dinner
To have my little cigar

The old lady, a very old lady,
just with her dog,
Sitting on the bench,
Across the way,

The dog was old,
she patted and petted it
A very much loved dog

After a while, she got up

But the dog would not follow, she waited
Still no movement,
She dropped his lead, walked away
eventually he got off the bench

with difficulty,
Slowly, followed her
Cocked his leg,
She waited

I hoped they would come my way
But she turned
Three ladies passed, Chinese
One smiled, I smiled back

[Why do ladies smile at strangers
And men never do?]

But then the first two were gone,
Behind the big bush
Back perhaps to the old peoples’ home
Only a little way along.

Both close to the end of their worlds
And I felt very sad
I hoped that she would go first
For if he went

Life for her would be sad. Too sad

No comments:

Post a Comment